Mar 29, 2010
Each week I focus on articles and tips for Healthy Living (nutrition, fitness, weight loss, etc.)
- Episodes of Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution now available online (HULU)
- Unhealthiest Foods At The Mall (MEN’S HEALTH)
- The Dish on Dairy (CULINARY.NET)
- Shop with care for whole grain food products (REPORTER NEWS)
- This week I’m lovin’ El Pollo Loco’s Taco Al Carbon — part of the chain’s Lindora® Lean for Life Menu items as well as one of their new Dollar Menu offerings. The Taco Al Carbon consists of two warm corn tortillas, well-seasoned chopped boneless chicken thigh meat, diced onion, loads of cilantro and a bit of soybean oil. With only 153 calories, very little cholesterol, fat and sodium; this is satisfying fast food you can feel good about eating.
- Soft Wraps made with Whole Grains and Extra Virgin Olive Olive — part of the Smart & Delicious line from La Tortilla Factory — have a full 52-percent of your required daily fiber (13 grams). I’ve been setting a couple wraps out for a day, then cracking the dried out wraps into chips. Eaten with hummus or any other dip, the wraps are transformed into delicious, high-fiber snack crackers.
- We Olive’s Green Olive & Lemon Mustard with Roasted Garlic makes a fantastic low-fat sandwich spread. It is also incredible when drizzled over thin slices of pork roast or pan-roasted chicken breast. One tablespoon contains a mere 5.5 fat-free calories!
- I discovered Smart Balance® Popcorn through David Zinczenko’s Eat This, Not That series of food guide books. Microwaved-anything is probably not the safest way to eat on a regular basis, but for the occasional trade-off against much higher fat and sodium laced products, these high-fiber, no-trans fat snacks are a god-send!