Tags: Aqua, Bar Tartine, Beigel Bake, Bi-Rite Creamery, Casa De Las Sirenas, Chef Laurent Manrique, cuisine, delfina, dining, Food, Food in Novel, food reviews, Galatoire's Restaurant, Kenny & Zukes, Michael Bauer, Phillipe the Original, Serious Pie, Tigelleria, Tom Douglass, Yunnan
INSPIRED BY Michael Bauer’s thoughts about “dishes I’ve remembered long after my reviews have been published,” here are the top 12 dishes I still crave, also in no particular order.
- Pollo Molcajete — spicy chicken in red sauce served with nopales, crunchy deep-fried pork rinds and grilled fresh white cheese at Casa De Las Sirenas in Mexico City.
- Tom Douglass’ salty-sweet, seriously tasty Fennel Salad with Orange and Hazelnuts at Seattle’s Serious Pie.
- The chewy, earthy Gorgonzola Stuffed Medjool Dates served at intimate Bar Tartine in San Francisco’s Mission District.
- Alaskan Halibut (pricey, but worth it for the heavenly fresh taste as well as the jewel box-like presentation) by Chef Laurent Manrique at Aqua.
- Bi-Rite Creamery’s mouth-watering Salted Caramel ice cream.
- A favorite childhood treat — old-fashioned French Dip Sandwiches (with hot, house-made Dijon-style mustard) at Phillipe the Original in L.A.
- Divinely rich, savory-sweet Pere al Gorgonzola salad at Tigelleria in cute little Campbell, California.
- The absolutely addicting Pecan Bars — oozing sugary fresh, sweet cream butter — at Kenny & Zukes in Portland.
- Super simple Yunnan-style Roasted Leeks dusted with hot red pepper powder at Beijing’s Food in Novel.
- Luscious Crabmeat Sardou with artichoke bottoms and creamed spinach as served at historic Galatoire’s Restaurant in New Orleans.
Butter soft Hot Salt-Beef brushed with lip tingling hot mustard on a chewy beigel (bagel) fresh from the oven at Beigel Bake on Brick Lane in London’s notorious East End.
- Delfina’s intense Grilled Calamari with Warm White Bean Salad — the squid’s smokey flavor pairs perfectly with creamy white beans.